[Advaita-l] Shivagita bhashyam - Who is Ishwara?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 08:35:05 EDT 2019

While refuting certain facets of the Madhva philosophy in the Bhashya to
the Shiva Gita of the Padmapurana, the author, Jagadguru Sri Abhinava
Narasimha Bharati Mahaswaminah (the 24h Peethadhipathi  1600 - 1623 CE),
says, on the aspect of the identity of  'Ishwara':

यच्चोक्तं 'ईश्वरः शङ्खचक्रादिविशिश्टशरीरवान्, तादृशशरीराभिन्नश्च' इति,
तदप्यसत् -  एवं सति ईश्वरस्य तादृशशरीराभिन्नत्वे ' उमासहायं परमेश्वरं
प्रभुं (विभुं) त्रिलोचनं नीलकण्ठं प्रशान्तम् । ध्यात्वा मुनिर्गच्छति
भूतयोनिं समस्तसाक्षिं तमसः परस्तात्’  (कैवल्योपनिषत् 7)
https://sa.wikisource.org/s/1fh  इति |
'ते देवा रुद्रमपृच्छन्को भवानिति । सोऽब्रवीदहमेकः प्रथममासं वर्तामि च
भविष्यामि च नान्यः कश्चिन्मत्तो व्यतिरिक्त इति' ।'
https://upanishads.org.in/otherupanishads/1  इत्यादिश्रुत्या,
तादृशरूपविशिष्टस्यापीश्वरत्वप्रतिपादनात् | विनिगमनाविरहेण द्वयोरपीश्वरत्वे
शरीरभेदादीश्वरभेदापत्तेः | ....

The gist of the above is: The Madhva school holds that 'Ishvara is endowed
with a body that is attributed with conch, discus, etc., and also that he
is non-different from that body.'  If such is the case, that is, if Ishwara
is non-different from a body so described (i.e.with conch, discus, etc.),
the following vedic passages:

Uma's spouse, (Umasahāya) the supreme Lord (Parameshwara) who is powerful
(Prabhu); the three-eyed and beneficent Nilakantha; by meditation, a Muni
reaches Him who is the origin of all beings, the witness of all and passes
beyond Tamas. (Kaivalyopanishat) and

The Devas addressed Rudra thus, “who are you?”  He replied: “I alone was in
the beginning; I am now; and will be in the future. There is none but me.”
(Atharvashira Upanishad
https://shaivam.org/scripture/English-Translation/1293/atharvashira-upanishat-sastri

Ishwara has been taught as endowed with the above description as well.
Thus, with no determining factor (as to who between the two types described
- one by you, the opponent, and the one by the shruti-s presented above by
the siddhantin), if one were to conclude both are Ishwara-s, then, due to
the body being different (for these two Ishwara-s), we will end up having
two different Ishwara-s.

[It may be noted that both the Kaivalyopanishat and the Atharvashira
Upanishad  have been commented upon by Sri Narayanashrama, by means of
Dipika, in the 13th Century CE.]

Om Tat Sat