[Advaita-l] The concept of Hiranyagarbha in PM's address to the Nation today

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 01:47:47 EDT 2020

These words of the PM in today's address to the nation:

 //and we most certainly are confined to our own homes but none of us is
alone. The collective strength of 130 crore Indians is with each one of us,
it is the strength of each one of us. Friends, in our country the citizenry
is considered a manifestation of God itself ..//

reflect the concept of Hiranyagarbha in Vedanta. Hiranyagarbha is that
entity who has abhimana in all the sukshma shariras (jivas) of all jivas.
Thus Hiranyagarbha is the 'samashTi' of all the 'vayshTi-s' who are
individual jiva-s. The example given is 'a forest is the samashti of all
the individual vyashTi trees.'    Vedanta, in every Upanishad, has an
explicit of implicit upasana on the Hiranyagarbha. The idea is: the jiva,
who is paricchinna, finite, as he is in the avidya avasthaa, when
contemplates on the SamashTi, he realizes himself to be aparicchinna,
vyaapaka, within creation.  This taadaatmya with Hiranyagarbha is a
necessary step in realizing Brahman the Supreme that transcends creation.
The PM's words remind us of this concept:  We are not puny individuals but
are the strong Total.  (Swami Paramarthananda ji uses this twin-terms
'individual and total' to convey the vyashTi-samaShTi pair.)

Read the full text of PM's address at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/74960555.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst