[Advaita-l] How is an object perceived.

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:56:59 EDT 2020

Namaste Sada ji

You wrote -
"The basic postulate of Advaita is the consciousness that 'I am' unites
with the existence of the object as imagedin the vRitti for me to be
conscious of the existence of the vRitti andtherefore conscious of the
existence of the object out there."

 I understand you to be saying that the mind only unites with the *frontal
image of the object* loaded in the brain rather than the entire object as
is presumed by some orthodox advaitins? The reason you advance is that, we
get info only of the frontal part of the object. So it's not accurate to
say the mind goes out to unite with the object-consciousness?

You also wrote -
"The rest is mechanics which candiffer without violating the basics of
Advaita. Hence Kena says -consciousnessis revealed in every thought -
pratibodha viditam matam. That is what I feel.One can always contest this.
VP has provided what has been understood up to that point in contrast to
the other theories of perception."

In other words, you are suggesting that the "mind going out to unite with
the object" model needs revision, since VP only presents what was know till
then in tge 17th century?

Kindly correct me if I misrepresented your thoughts.

Om

On Tue, 14 Apr, 2020, 1:55 PM Kuntimaddi Sadananda via Advaita-l, <