[Advaita-l] The essence of all Upanishads: Brahma-Atma aikyam - The Last word of the Srimadbhagavatam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:48:03 EDT 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 11:48 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:10 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> https://sa.wikisource.org/s/ttx
>>
>> सर्ववेदान्तसारं यद् ब्रह्मात्मैकत्वलक्षणम् ।
>>  वस्तु अद्वितीयं तन्निष्ठं कैवल्यैकप्रयोजनम् ॥ १२ ॥
>>
>> The 12th Canto, 13th chapter has this statement.
>>

> The term 'brahmaatmaikatva' found in the above Bhagavatam shloka is found
> in the Prasthana traya Bhashya alone over a dozen times. Other prakarana
> texts in the Advaita Sharada resource give a lot more instances.
>
> Since the above quote is from a popular puranam, it is of interest to see
> this statement of Sri Appayya Dikshitar in the Siddhanta Lesha Sangraha:  इति
> अपशूद्राधिकरणोपसंहारभाष्ये ब्रह्मात्मैक्यपरपुराणादिश्रवणे विद्यासाधनेऽधिकारस्य
> दर्शितत्वात्;..
>
> Variants of these are क्षेत्रज्ञपरमात्मैकत्वविषये सम्यग्दर्शने, विज्ञानात्मनः
> परमात्मनैकत्वमुपदिश्यते and so on.
>
> Since such terms are unique to Advaita, the purana-occurrence shown above
> can't be accommodated in other schools without much laboring to deny the
> direct meaning of the term.
>
> The Lalita Sahasra Nama has:  ब्रह्मात्मैक्यस्वरूपिणी.

In continuation of the above, here are some more references:

Srimad Bhagavatan 11.21.35

वेदा ब्रह्मात्मविषयास्‍त्रिकाण्डविषया इमे ।
परोक्षवादा ऋषय: परोक्षं मम च प्रियम् ॥ ३५ ॥
The three divisions of the Veda, karma, Brahma and devataa, have for their
supreme purport the identity of Brahman and Atman (jiva).

Sridhara Swamin says for the word ‘brahmaatmavishaya’ : the Atman, jiva, is
Brahman alone and not a samsarin.

In the Shaankara Prasthana traya Bhashya, we can see over 60 usages of
these terms ‘brahmaatma, brahmaatmaikya, brahmaatmaikatva’ giving the
purport of the identity of the jiva and brahman.

एतावान् सर्ववेदार्थ: शब्द आस्थाय मां भिदाम् ।
मायामात्रमनूद्यान्ते प्रतिषिध्य प्रसीदति ॥ ४३ ॥

ŚB 11.21.43

*The transcendental sound vibration thus establishes Me as the essential
meaning of all Vedic knowledge. The Vedas, elaborately analyzing all
material duality as nothing but My illusory potency, ultimately completely
negate this duality and achieve their own satisfaction.*

Sridhara Swamin in the commentary says: The Veda, keeping in view Me, the
Paaramarthik Truth, alludes to difference, bheda, which is only illusory,
maayaamaatram. And having alluded to bheda (adhyaropa), it negates
(apavada) it at the end on the basis of the shrutis such as ‘neha naanaasti
kinchana.’

Thus, the terms ‘brahmatma/aikyam/lakshanam’ are common to the Srimad
Bhagavatam and the Advaita Bhashya/other texts. These terms are the
characteristic marks of Advaita.

Om Tat Sat