[Advaita-l] Acollection of articles on Advaita - 'Voice of Shankara'.

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 12:11:57 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghavji,

This is interesting indeed, but I have a concern as follows...

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 8:56 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

In other words, the condition of abAdhitatvam as a criterion for
> valid knowledge is superfluous.
>
> Wherever the origination of the object is coeval with perception, it is
> termed jnAtaikasattAka and that puts all such cognitions such as cognition
> of shell in silver (here the object is jnAtaikasattAka), such cognitions
> are not valid knowledge at all, according to VP.

So shouldn't ajnAtasattAka be added to the VP definition itself then or am
I missing something? Where is such an assumption coming from?

> She quotes Shri Madhusudana Saraswati from to substantiate this from his
> work Advaita Ratna rakshaNa.
>
> Incidentally the fact that the requirement that the object is to be
> ajnaatasattaaka (unknown prior to its cognition) - an implicit necessity
> for the condition of anadhigatatvam (unknown prior to its cognition -
> implying that the object exists but is unknown) to be satisfied, places the
> vedAnta paribhAShA epistemology clearly within the ambit of sRShTi dRShTi
> prakriyas.

IMO, quoting Bhagavan Madhusudhana Saraswati may not be right unless the
exact context is known. To that effect, I plead ignorance; could you point
me to the source I could look up to understand better? OTOH, I could say
that each object is coeval with the perception and that would exclude each
object-cognition from pramA. We wouldn't need this business of pramA at all
then! :-)

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */