[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 09:43:50 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghav ji,
(Thanks Subbuji for the OP)

From: Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l

Can we counter the objection (by just looking at this reference) that
aGYAna is GYAnAbhAva? Since the abhAva reference is there in this gItA
passage -  "तद्विवेकज्ञानाभावात्
अध्यारोपितसर्परजतादिसंयोग..." .

Would it be logical to say that the Panchami prayoga in vivekaGYAna-abhAvAt
itself implies a causative factor for adhyAsa?

>>> I think the Panchami just means hetu here. I’d be a little careful using it as a causative for adhyAsa as it might accrue the same flaw ajnAna being abhAvarUpa! 😊

Also in  विषयविषयिणोः भिन्नस्वभावयोः इतरेतरतद्धर्माध्यासलक्षणः संयोगः
क्षेत्र
क्षेत्रज्ञस्वरूपविवेकाभावनिबन्धनः, a point to consider is whether the word
nibandhaH can be taken as the "seat" or "basis" or "origin" - again all
these have the causative sense. (...the other meaning of nibandhanaH as
"fastening" or "tying together" is also there of course). So we could say
अध्यासलक्षणः संयोगः विवेकाभावनिबन्धनः  (विवेकाभावः यस्य निबन्धनः सः
विवेकाभावनिबन्धनः).

>>> क्षेत्रस्वरूप-क्षेत्रज्ञस्वरूपयोः विवेकस्य अभावः निबन्धनं = कारणं यस्य संयोगस्य सः संयोगः क्षेत्रक्षेत्रज्ञस्वरूपविवेकाभावनिबन्धनः। I urge those interested to read Bhagavan Anandagiri’s TIkA on it ending nicely with सम्यग्ज्ञानात् अज्ञानतत्कार्यनिवृत्त्या मुक्तिः, इति स्थिते, फलितमाह- य एवमिति

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* येनेदं सर्वं विजानाति, तं केन विजानीयात्। Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */