[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:53:34 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghav ji,
I don't think this refers to vivekajnAna abhAva being a (upAdAna) kAraNa of
the samyoga.

Rather, AchArya is saying that because of the absence of discrimination
between what is the self (or rope) and what is the non-self (or snake), one
ends up with the samyoga of the two, meaning the mixing up of the self for
the bon self and vice-versa.

If that viveka was there, the ajnAna would not survive its presence,  therefore
in the absence of the viveka, ajnAna is present, and consequently gives
rise to the adhyAsa.

One clearly cannot say jnAnAbhAva gave rise to the adhyAsa, because katham
asata: sajjAyeta? (As AchArya says here
itself तस्य यथोक्तसम्यग्दर्शनविरोधात् अपगच्छति मिथ्याज्ञानम् - how will an
absence go? Ergo it cannot be an absence).

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 18:11 Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l, <