[Advaita-l] An apology

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 5 01:03:37 EDT 2020

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l wrote:

> I have decided I won't ask any more questions or post any answers.

Kaushik,

In Advaita-L we welcome "tourists" as well as sadhakas.  But personally,
my interest is in assisting the sadhakas as much as I can.  You come
across as a sincere person who really wishes to learn in order to better
yourself and any correspondance I have had with you has been only with
that view.

  it would be a great pity if you stopped asking questions but
consider if there is a better, more systematic way of asking that will
leader to higher and higher levels of knowledge.

Imagine a physics forum.

I have friends who are professional physicists and the bane of their
existence is crackpots (unfortunately escpecially prevalent on the
Internet) who come up with crazy schemes for perpetual motion etc. and
when their errors are pointed out think "the establishment" is conspiring
to deny their self-evident genius.  Would it be wrong for the physics
forum to insist they restrict themselves to talk of actual mainstream
physics or leave?  What do you think?

Ok another scenario.  There is someone who really loves physics but
doesn't have enough background to really understand physics concepts.  If
an experienced member of the forum says to them "you should learn atleast
calculus, preferably even higher mathematics in order to understand
advanced physics" do you think that is ok?  What if the new person
replies, "But I don't want to learn mathematics, I want to learn physics."
What would your response be?

One more.  What if someone joined the physics forum and asked questions
about biology.  Some of the physicists have some idea so they answer but
one says "You will get better answers if you ask on a biology forum."  Is
that ok?  What do you think?