[Advaita-l] Abheda

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:18:04 EDT 2020

Namaste Subbuji,

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> //The importance of VaisheShika was gradually increasing as it was
> gradually more and more adopted by Vaishnava realistic writers such as
> Madhva and and his followers and a refutation of the Vaisheshika would also
> imply a refutation of the dualistic writers who draw their chief support
> from Vaisheshika physics and metaphysics.//
>
> So, you can see how he has characterized the 'Vaishnava
> writers...dualistic writers...'
>
> Some others use the term 'theistic schools'.
>
> In any case what is striking is this: the common feature of all dualistic
> schools that Shankara called 'dvaitins' in the Mandukya Karika bhashya:
> kapila, kaNAda, Jaina, Bauddha, etc. (Yoga of Patanjali, Charvaka,
> Pashupata and Pancharatra and Purva mimamsa) is the 'jagat satyatva and
> jiva nanatva'.   It is no wonder how Madhva and Ramanuja and every other
> school that came after Shankara found the latter unacceptable since it hits
> at the very basis of these schools.  That is the reason why Madhva is
> extremely critical about Shankara even though the refutation of jagat
> satyatva and jiva (Atma) nanatva is not exclusively aimed at Madhva; it is
> ativyaapti when Madhva considers Shankara as his opponent for such a
> treatment. It is well known that when Shankara wrote the Bhashyas Madhva
> was nowhere in the picture.  One can see the point in the observation of
> Dasgupta ' a refutation of the Vaisheshika would also imply a refutation of
> the dualistic writers.'
>
>> <listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org>

Undoubtedly so. Bhagavan Bhashyakara has already refuted all sorts of
possibilities in the dismissal of other darshanas. This is why it is easy
for us to see how later day darshanas sects are also in error. There are
many philosophies that Bhagavan Karikara also refuted, hinting at their
foundation in the misunderstanding of creation; it is all downhill from
there! We just have to look there to see how others also stand refuted that
came up mixing parts of various darshanas with new terms or flavouring.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */