[Advaita-l] Tattvabodha of Adi Sankaracharya - 20

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 16:33:42 EDT 2020

(Continued from previous post)

http://svbf.org/wp-content/uploads/tattvabodha/5_Tattvbodha_Atman_Srushtivichara.pdf

Tattva Bodha of Adi Sankaracharya  -
A Vedantic Primer: Part 2 (contd.)

(Lecture Notes compiled by Venkat Ganesan from the series of
SVBF Lectures given by Dr. S. YEGNASUBRAMANIAN)

2. Analysis of the Individual - jIva vicAraH
(continued)

In the discussion on the Analysis of the
Individual - jIvavichAraH, in the previous issue, the
Author showed how the Atman is the witness
or illuminator of the three states of experience
(avasthA) and is different from the five
sheaths (panca koSA) of the body. The Author
proceeds to explain the qualities or attributes
of the Atman, which will be discussed now.

2.6.

 madIya.n sharIraM madIyAH prANAH madIyaM manashcha
 madIyA buddhirmadIya.n aj~nAnamiti
 svenaiva j~nAyate tadyathA madIyatvena j~nAta.n
 kaTakakuNDala gR^ihAdika.n tadyathA madIyatvena j~nAta.n
 kaTakakuNDalagR^ihAdika.n svasmadbhinna.n tathA
 pa~nchakoshAdika.n svasmadbhinnaM
 madIyatvena j~nAtamAtmA na bhavati ..

(As bangles, ear-ornaments, homes etc. are
known as "mine", but are different from the
owner, so also, the five sheaths which are known
by the Self as "my body, my mind, my prANas,
my mind, my intellect and my ignorance", are
different from the knower and so cannot be the
Atman).

yathA - just as

kaTakakuNDalagR^ihAdika.n - bangles, ear-ornaments,
homes etc.

madIyatvena j~nAta.n - are known as "mine "

svasmadbhinnaM - and different from the owner

tathA - likewise

pa~nchakoshAdika.n - the five sheaths (and three bodies
and three avasthAs - which are known by the
Self) as

madIya.n sharIraM - My body - annamaya
madIyAH prANAH - My prANas  -  prANamaya
madIyaM manashcha - My  mind  (also)  - manomaya
madIyA buddhiH  - My intellect - vijnAnamaya
madIya.n aj~nAnam - My  Bliss (due to ignorance) - aanandamaya

svenaiva tat j~nAyate - (by oneself - these) are known

svasmadbhinna.n - as different from oneself

AtmA na bhavati - Therefore that does not be-
come the Atman. Why? Because of moha (delusion),
they appear to be mine.

Then the question arises, what is Atman?

(Continued in next post)