[Advaita-l] Vedanta in Depression

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:41:42 EST 2020

yoga sutras addresses this issue as well.  I think depression can be
thought as a combination of *duḥkha and daurmanasya mentionted in 1.31.
They can come along with the nine obstacles mentioned in 1.30. To
overcome that solutions are listed in sutras 1.32-1.39. They can be
applied at a practical level too for some everyday problems. Some simple
steps such as not multi-tasking can greatly help. (It is interesting to
note that yoga sutras refer to the opposite as saumanasya and is
mentioned as one of the benefit of shaucha. *

*Probably the most important step is, surrendering to ***īśvara. Yoga
sutras refer to as *****īśvara-praṇidhāna *(4 times in the text). It is
an universal medicine (vishvAha bheShaji), medicine that works for all
beings, at all places, at all times, and for all ailments; probably with
no adverse effects. There is a Tamil work called abhirAmi antadi, it
says those who worship ambaa ****will not get depressed (oru naaLum
thaLarvaRiyA manam tharum). Even here, **yoga sutras outlines a method
on how to approach this and practically implement it.

*If you have questions about these sutras, ping me by email, we can chat
on whatsapp. *

*Ravi*

**