[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Brahman, in absolute terms, is Nirguna and Nirakara (devoid of attributes and form)

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 07:58:01 EST 2020

Namaste Subbu ji

Thanks for sharing the Padma purANa verses about Uddhava and Krishna.

We also have the advaitic concept of 'avataara' whereby even without
mUlAvidyA which leads to punarjanma etc., Brahman directly can manifest as
an avataara form available for vyavahaarika transactions such as bhagavan
Krishna,  etc. It can similarly be said that even such vyavahaarika forms
such as Vishnu, Shiva etc., are 'available', so to speak, for transaction
in satya loka. This is indirectly mentioned in the bhAShya and more clearly
endorsed by Sri Appayya Dixita who mentions vaikunTha, kaikaSha as
equivalent words for satya loka/brahma loka. These daivika forms of Krishna
in bhUloka, Prathamaja-BrahmA in satyaloka etc., are not merely mentally
imagined by the sadhaka as per his purusha-tantra imagination (no doubt
conforming to shAstra) rather, a *stronger" assertion can be made that they
have independent vyavahaarika sattaa as, say, a tree, mountain, planet
earth, the Sun, other lokas (whose existence is no doubt known only through
shAstra but they do exist independent of any upAsana context.)

The reason I mention the above is that, some students of Advaita wrongly
think that these forms (like Shiva, Vishnu etc) are merely useful
*imaginations* endorsed by shAstra rather than actually available in a
higher loka.

The problem with such an idea (that the forms of Vishnu etc. , are merely
healthy shastric imagination) is that the forms of Shiva, Vishnu etc.,
become in a sense less than vyavahaarika, and they are just useful
imaginations. This is akin to an adolescent being told to read and dwell
upon some fictional character in a novel in order to inculcate some
desirable quality. I believe Advaita does not say that the forms are only
for useful imagination.

Advaita says that the avataara forms of bhUloka and similarly,
hiraNyagarbha/ brahmA of satya loka having daivika forms like Shiva etc.
(constituted by other subtler panchabhUtas like Akasha in satya loka, in
contrast to the pArthiva forms of humans) independently existing (in other
lokas) rather than being merely conjured up for the sake of fruitful
upAsana.

There is a mention probably in kena bhAShya (I am unable to locate the
reference)  that the forms mentioned in shAstra (shAstra-chodita forms
presumably of Shiva etc), actually exist. (in as much as mention of svarga
or naraka which are revealed by shAstra, is not merely for didactic
purposes to disincentivize pApa - rather, svarga and naraka are post-mortem
states that may be actually attained by some).

Om

On Thu, 10 Dec, 2020, 5:50 am V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <