[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi's distinction between samadhi and laya

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Thu Dec 31 14:02:52 EST 2020

Full video here:
https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2020/7/27/ramana-maharshis-distinction-between-samadhi-and-laya

A tricky and very interesting distinction is present in Maharshi's work
between samadhi -- a profound state of concentrated absorption where the
distinction between "I" and "not I" breaks down -- and laya, which is also
absorption... but in which ignorance does not break down. Both are states
or profound peace.   Samadhi can easily turn into laya, Maharshi says, so
seekers should be warned. Elsewhere, however, he says that states of peace
need not be interrupted. So which is it? Well, the answer lies in where the
seeker is along the path. The mind has to be turned inward and
concentrated, and various methods that produce laya can result in this; but
the ultimate samadhi is not one that turns into laya, but is that which is
seen when even laya is questioned, self-inquired into, or surrendered.

Akilesh
Spiritual guidance - http://www.siftingtothetruth.com/