[Advaita-l] Why did Brahman create the world?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 09:09:48 EST 2020

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Venkatraghavan ji
> Regarding gocharo'pi na bhavati, how do we address examples like the child
> can know the mother etc.?
>
> I would presume we should attach an upAdhi to the syllogism such as,
> "X cannot know X's *upAdAna* kAraNam"?

The word 'gochara' in the verse means: jiva which has come 'after' Brahman
cannot be the object (gochara) of avidya. That is, the first line says:
Only Brahman can be the locus and object (avidya conceals, veils, Brahman)
of avidya. The second line says 'jiva cannot be the either the locus or the
object, viShaya, for avidya (tamas) (to veil).  'Gochara' is given the
meaning of 'vishaya' in the Kathopanishat mantra 1.3.4  इन्द्रियाणि
हयानाहुर्विषयांस्तेषु गोचरान् ।  भाष्यम् -  तेषु इन्द्रियेषु हयत्वेन
परिकल्पितेषु गोचरान् = मार्गान् = रूपादीन्विषयान् विद्धि ।   The tamas
which has to precede the jiva cannot have the jiva as its locus and object
(of veiling). It can have Brahman alone as its locus and object of veiling.

regards
subbu