[Advaita-l] Why did Brahman create the world?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 14:23:12 EST 2020

Namaste Raghav ji,
Subbuji's interpretation of nApi gocara: fits the Sloka better.

Essentially, the object of ignorance cannot be a product of ignorance
itself, because ignorance always presupposes its object - i.e the ignorance
is always 'of something', and that object cannot be the effect of
ignorance, which is logically posterior.

I had an alternative interpretation, which admittedly doesn't fit the
context as well as the above - viz., ignorance is not revealed by the mind,
its effect, but by the sAkshi. This was based on what sureshvarAchArya says
(in the naiShkarmyasiddhi quote I had provided in the email earlier) that
the effect itself is of the nature of ignorance, and therefore, ignorance
cannot experience ignorance by itself  - तस्य हि स्वरूपमेवाज्ञानं न हि
स्वतोऽज्ञानस्याज्ञानं घटते ।

However, the interpretation of gocara: as viShaya in this context fits
better - the objective of the shArIrakAkAra here is to say that it is
nirguNa chaitanya that is the locus and object of ignorance.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020, 13:03 Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l, <