[Advaita-l] Vedokta mantra for Hanumanji

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Feb 12 22:47:31 EST 2020

In preparation for Mahashivaratri, I am preparing just for my own use, a
definitive prayoga for Shiva puja according to Gujarati parampara based on
various sources I've collected over the years.

In our tradition, before the shodashopachara puja and abhisheka, one first
does a basic puja (i.e. just gandhakshatapushpani) to the parshadas of
Shiva Bhagavan.  They are:

1. Ganapati. For removal of vighna as in any puja.

2 & 3. Bhairava and Hanuman.  They are considered the dvarapals of Shiva
Bhagavan and in any Shivalaya there will be shrines or atleast carvings of
them at the entrance to the garbagrha.  They are also considered avatars
of Shiva Bhagavan.  Actually in my family we have Dattatreya instead of
Bhairava for historical reasons.

4. Nandikeshvara

5. Kurmeshvara

6. Amba

In one book, which I consider highly authoritative though sadly the copy I
have is marred by many printing errors, for each of these a vedokta mantra
is given and a pauranika or agamic mantra/shloka.  But for Hanuman only
the shloka is given.

So my questions are,

Is this a misprint in the book or is Hanumanji not worshipped with Vedokta
mantras?  If there is a mantra, which one is it?

I realize that most readers will be South Indian and/or Krishnayajurvedi
so the answers might not be applicable but I would still be interested in
any responses.