[Advaita-l] Veda Vyasa the Māyāvādin

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 01:44:30 EST 2020

Here are two verses, as a sample, from the Srimadbhāgavatam:

ŚB 11.11.1
श्रीभगवानुवाच
बद्धो मुक्त इति व्याख्या गुणतो मे न वस्तुत: ।
गुणस्य मायामूलत्वान्न मे मोक्षो न बन्धनम् ॥ १ ॥
śrī-bhagavān uvāca
baddho mukta iti vyākhyā
guṇato me na vastutaḥ
guṇasya māyā-mūlatvān
na me mokṣo na bandhanam

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Uddhava, due to the
influence of the material modes of nature, which are under My control, the
living entity is sometimes designated as conditioned and sometimes as
liberated. In fact, however, the soul is never really bound up or
liberated, and since I am the Supreme Lord of māyā, which is the cause of
the modes of nature, I also am never to be considered liberated or in
bondage.

ŚB 11.11.2
शोकमोहौ सुखं दु:खं देहापत्तिश्च मायया ।
स्वप्नो यथात्मन: ख्याति: संसृतिर्न तु वास्तवी ॥ २ ॥
śoka-mohau sukhaṁ duḥkhaṁ
dehāpattiś ca māyayā
svapno yathātmanaḥ khyātiḥ
saṁsṛtir na tu vāstavī

Just as a dream is merely a creation of one’s intelligence but has no
actual substance, similarly, material lamentation, illusion, happiness,
distress and the acceptance of the material body under the influence of
māyā are all creations of My illusory energy. In other words, material
existence has no essential reality.

We are reminded of:

Read the full text of the Brahmabindu Upanishad:
https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_upanishhat/brahmabindu.html?lang=sa

Of this Upanishad, this particular shloka:
 न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिर्न बद्धो न च साधकः ।  न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्त इत्येषा
परमार्थता ॥ १०॥

[ There is no dissolution, no creation, none who is bound, no aspirant,
none desiring moksha, none liberated. This is the absolute truth.]

is cited in the Mandukya Karika 2.32 of Gaudapadacharya though not as a
mantra.

Sridhara Swamin's commentary to the above verses are straight, crisp
without the compulsion of giving meanings like 'anitya' for 'na vastava',
etc.

Om Tat Sat