[Advaita-l] Why did Brahman create the world?

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 03:25:30 EST 2020

PraNAms - This question as raised recently in my Facebook posts.

Here is a short answer that was provided.

Why did Brahman create this world?

First answer: Brahman being infinite cannot and did not createthis world? Creation involves modification and infinite cannot undergomodification. Hence from Brahman reference, there is no creation at all.

Frist mahavaakya says:

Prajnaanam brahma, consciousness is Brahman –that is consciousness is infinite. Since we are discussing the consciousnessthat exists – the existent consciousness or Sat – chit is Brahman. In essence,Sat cannot be different from Chit.  Being infiniteness, it is also anandaswaruupam – hence Brahman is sat – chit – ananda. That forms the nature ofinfinite consciousness.

Second answer: But I see the creation and there is a seer-seenduality, where did that come from? When that question arises, then one has toprovide some story – with the triad – jeeva-jagat-Iswara, and muulaavidya,  Vedanta and self-realization, etc., for the one who is askingthese questions until the questioner understands that all these questions arealso invalid from the point of the truth. Brahman being infinite, forms theadhishtaanam or locus for everything that appears, there cannot be anythingother than infinite Brahman. These include Jeeva- Jagat- Iswara, avidya, andvidya too. As Goudapaada says -these appearances or vibhutees are Swabhavikam.

Hari Om!

Sadananda