[Advaita-l] Kalidasa's Raghuvamsha mangala charana shloka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 00:17:55 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:04 AM Indira Sastry via Advaita-l <

> Dear Advaitins
> Please clarify my doubt. In Kalidasa's Raghuvamsha's dhyana shloka
> वागर्थाविव संपृक्तौ वागर्थप्रतिपत्तये।
> जगतः पितरौ वन्दे पार्वतीपरमेश्वरौ॥
>
> All along I was of the impression Kalidasa is doing namaskara to Parvathi &
> Parameshvara. I thought Kalidasa was a shaivite and a bhakta of Kali. Hence
> the name Kalidasa. But recently I heard the interpretation of the shloka by
> a Vaishnavite dividing the word as Parvathipa and Rameshvarau and
> interpreting as Kalidasa is doing namaskara to Rama and Narayana. Please
> clarify.

In the above interpretation, Parvathipa = the Lord of Parvathi, Shiva.
Rameshvara = the Lord of Ramaa, Lakshmi, that is Narayana. So the namaskara
is to both Shiva and Vishnu. But the shloka also says that the namaskara is
to 'Pitarau', the parents. Shiva and Vishnu can only be Fathers, if one
insists on this interpretation. There will be no mother.   माता च पिता च =
पितरौ |  This is my understanding.

regards
subbu