[Advaita-l] Vedanta vs Tantra

Mahadevan Iyer mahadevan.n.iyer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 11:39:45 EDT 2020

Pranams,

I happen to read an article on Tantra by Jan Esmann - "A critique of
Vedanta".

Please read this article, it is interesting. - https://bit.ly/2AP6SNf

He compares Vaisesika, Samkhya, Advaita & Tantra.

1. Vaisesika - Nature of Self as Pure Existence.

2. Samkhya - Nature of Self as Self-conscious Pure Existence.

3. Advaita - Nature of Self as Blissful Self-conscious Pure Existence.

4. Tantra - Dynamic Blissful Self-conscious Pure Existence. Dynamic =
Shakti or Spanda.

General Idea in my words

* In Advaita, the Maya is used to explaining off the inconsistencies
regarding the transition of Non-dual to Dual.

* The advantage of Tantra over Advaita is that, unlike Advaita it does
not need Maya.

*  In Tantra, Absolute is both unmanifest and a dynamic creative force.

* Maya is thus understood to be both the first sense of separateness
from which individual consciousnesses and objects arise, as well as the
play of life at large.

* Vedanta is therefore not actually wrong, it is just inferior knowledge
and inferior understanding.

In this article, there are some wrong conception of Advaita. But still,
the idea is interesting.

Please let me know what you think of it.

OM TAT SAT

Mahadevan Iyer