[Advaita-l] Tattvabodha of Adi Sankaracharya - 17

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 15:20:44 EDT 2020

(Continued from previous post)

2.5.2 The Vital Air Sheath - prANamaya koSa

prANamayaH kaH ? What is the Vital-Air Sheath ?

 prANAdyAH pa~nchavAyavaH vAgAdIndriyapa~nchakaM
 prANamayaH koshaH .

prANamaya koSa or the Vital Air Sheath
comprises Of the five physiological functions
such as prANa etc. (prANa, apAna, vyAna,
udAna and samAna), along with the five organs
Of action such as speech etc.

prANAdyAH pa~nchavAyavaH The five physiological
functions and the five vital airs responsible for
those functions are:

prANa Respiration
apAna Evacuation
vyAna Circulation
udAna Rejection - Reversal / Throwing up,
tears etc; becomes active at the time
of death especially.
samAna - Assimilation / Digestion

vAgAdIndriyapa~nchakaM The five organs of action are
speech, hands, legs, anus and the genitals.
These were described earlier.

It is part of the subtle body - sukshma
Sareeram.

2.5.3 The Mental Sheath - manomaya koSa

manomayaH koshaH kaH ? What is the Mental Sheath ?

 manashcha j~nAnendriyapa~nchakaM militvA yo bhavati
 samanomayaH koshaH .

The Mental Sheath is what is formed by the
Mind along with the five sense organs.
manashcha - Along with the mind

j~nAnendriyapa~nchakaM - five sense organs - organs of
touch, sound, form, taste and smell.

militvA - putting together

yo bhavati  samanomayaH koshaH | the Mental Sheath.

The identification of the Self with Mind being
the seat of emotions, together with the five
organs of perception gives rise to the "Mental
Sheath" (i.e emotional feelings such as , "I am
happy, I am angry" etc.).

2.5.4 The Intellectual Sheath - vijnAnamaya koSa

vij~nAnamayaH kaH ? What is the Intellectual Sheath?
buddhij~nAnendriyapa~nchakaM militvA yo bhavati sa
vij~nAnamayaH koshaH .

The  Intellectual Sheath is what is  formed by
the  Intellect  along  with  the  five  organs  Of
perception.

BuddhiH - The Intellect

j~nAnendriyapa~nchakaM - five  sense  organs - organs  of
touch, sound,  form,  taste and smell.

militvA - putting together

yo bhavati sa vij~nAnamayaH koshaH I what is obtained is
the Intellectual Sheath.

The identification of the Self with the Intellect,
being the deciding faculty, together with the
five organs of perception gives rise to the
"Intellectual Sheath" (i.e with the nature of
"assertion" - I am the doer, I am the knower
etc. - compared to the "Mental Sheath" with
the nature of "Vascillation").

(Continued in next post)