[Advaita-l] Define MAYA ?

K Kathirasan brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 00:03:19 EDT 2020

Namaste,

One of my favourite definitions come from the Pancadashi. Here is the verse:

tucchānirvacanīyā ca vāstavī cetyasau tridhā ।
jñeyā māyā tribhirbodhaiḥ śrautayauktikalaukikaiḥ ॥ 5.130॥

Maya is looked upon in three ways. From the point of view of knowledge and Shruti it is negligible; for empirical reason it is indefinable and for the ordinary people it is real.

Kathirasan K