[Advaita-l] Veda Vyasa's consistency across Bhagavata, Vishnu and Shiva Puranas

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 13 23:35:10 EDT 2020

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> I would like to bring to your kind notice that my two postings
> were made keeping mumukshus in view.

Ok.

> Please read the following excerpt with a cool and open mind and
> understand well what Bhagavan Ramana has taught. And then you read my
> two postings once again. Then you can call me by any name you may like.
> As a  Vedantin I accept both flowers as well as brickbats with
> equanimity.

It is not about flowers or brickbats.  This list is for people to learn
about Advaita Vedanta, the path to moksha.  If someone is misleading
others (or themselves!) about that subject it needs to be addressed.

> Quote: Thisarticle appeared in the magazine "The Mountain
> Path'"  January1972 issue, published from Sri Ramansramam,
> Tiruvannamalai.

I thought you were "a mumukshu who confines himself to Upanishads and Sri
Shankara's commentaries"  As far as I know, Sri Shankara did not write
articles for "The Mountain Path."  However I don't confine myself in that
way so I'll gladly read the quote.

But I must ask you, Did "The Mountain Path" publish a February 1972 issue?
Or any subsequent issues? Why if only one book is sufficient?  Did Ramana
only ever read one book or quote one book.  In fact in a post on the same
day as yours, Akilesh Ayyar gave an example of RM quoting the Mahabharata.
Do you really think someone who reads/studies the Mahabharata consider
doing the same to the Bhagavata "a waste of time and energy."?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> Dear Sri Venkataraghavan,

> I would like to bring to your kind notice that my two postings were made
> keeping simple minded MUMUKSHUS in view. It is not meant for eminent
> scholars like you.

For a would-be Advaitin you have some strange classifications.  These
categories "simple minded mumukshus" and "eminent scholars" do not exist
in our sampradaya.  The Vedantic process is the same for all alike viz.
shravana, manana, and niddhidhyasana.  All these stages a mumukshu (one
who _desires_ moksha) must pursue enthusiastically. Maybe he might fall
short compared to others may be go further but he cannot avoid them.