[Advaita-l] Relation between the object and its attributes

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:06:59 EDT 2020

While in a conversation with Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal, I asked about this
topic and he said this:  In Advaita the relationship between guNa and guNi
is tAdAtmya:

We thank Sri Sada ji for raising this question.

This is from the Brahma Sutra Bhashya 2.2.17:

Objection: Even the smoke that is distinct from fire is seen to be
dependent on fire. Siddhantin: True it is so, but owing to the perception
of difference between the two, we conclude their mutual difference. However
in the case of - white blanket, red cow, blue lotus - the objects (blanket,
cow, lotus, etc.), since the object itself is perceived 'as endowed with'
those attributes, there is never a perception of distinction as in the case
of fire and smoke. Thus, the attribute is of the 'nature' ('sameness') of
the object.

Apte

तादात्म्यम् [tādātmyam], Sameness of nature, identity, unity;
नयनयोस्तादात्म्यमम्भोरुहाम् Bv.२.८१; भगवत्यात्मनस्तादात्म्यम् &c.

नन्वग्नेरन्यस्यापि सतो धूमस्याग्न्यधीनत्वं दृश्यते ; सत्यं दृश्यते ;
भेदप्रतीतेस्तु तत्राग्निधूमयोरन्यत्वं निश्चीयते ; इह तु — शुक्लः कम्बलः,
रोहिणी धेनुः, नीलमुत्पलम् — इति द्रव्यस्यैव तस्य तस्य तेन तेन विशेषणेन
प्रतीयमानत्वात् नैव द्रव्यगुणयोरग्निधूमयोरिव भेदप्रतीतिरस्ति ; *तस्माद्*
*द्रव्यात्मकता** गुणस्य *।

warm regards
subbu