[Advaita-l] Relation between the object and its attributes

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu May 21 01:13:35 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Reg  <<  I was only trying to make sense of the book under question. But I
did comment in passing about other things >>,

I am so sorry. It never occurred to me that you might be quoting a portion
from a book. I took it for granted that we are sharing our respective
understandings with backing from commentaries. My observations were most
probably irrelevant and you could usefully ignore them. In the same
context, the references I had given may not be relevant either. I will only
take this opportunity to correct a small mistake I had committed therein
and which I had pointedout later also. It may not have figured  in the
later postings to the group. In what I had mentioned << Sometime back, Sri
Subhanu Ji had asked for any references in this regard >>, please correct
the name as Sri Sudhanshu Ji instead of Sri Subhanu Ji. Regret the error.

Reg  <<  The snake is adhyasta on the rope. The

rope is the vivarta upAdAna kAraNam. The rope and snake are related by
adhyAsa sambandha.

Many see the snake but (let's say) some see it as a grey and others as
green. Regarding the technical word for the sambandha between the avastu
greyness superimposed on the avastu snake which is adhyasta on the rope -

Can't we say that once the "artha'' or object (snake) is superimposed on a
vastu (rope), then automatically the "GYAna" or attributes like greyness or
greenness, long/short etc. (depending on past memories) get automatically
superimposed on the snake? Therefore the experience of these attributes
(GYAna) is also an aspect of adhyAsa alone? >>,

I presume this is also based on an extract from the same book. Since I am
not aware of the context in which this is made, I refrain from commenting.
I might make the same mistake as I committed earlier !! Also not keen on
discussing about what is stated in some specific book or the other unless
they are recognized commentaries.
Regards