[Advaita-l] Brahma Loka the highest within creation - the Advaitic position

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 27 03:36:04 EDT 2020

In the Brahmasutra, Upanishads and Bh.Gita Bhashyas nowhere we find any
mention of a loka beyond the Brahma loka for krama mukti.  In this
background it is interesting to see this observation of Vidyaranya in the
Taittiriya Upanishad bhashya:

यथा ब्रह्मलोकाख्यं फलं सालोक्यसारूप्यसामीप्यसार्ष्टिभेदेन चतुर्विधम् | तत्र
सार्ष्टिर्नाम चतुर्मुखेन समानैश्वर्यम् | ....सालोक्यादिविशेषस्तु
जन्यरूपत्वात् उपासनातारतम्येन सातिशयो भविष्यति |

From the above it is clear that the saalokya, saarupya, saamipya and
saarShTi types of attainment is only in the Brahmaloka.  Vaishnavas (and
Shaivas) have these in the Vaikuntha / Shivaloka (Kailasa).

Vidyaranya says that these gradations are the result of differences in the
upasana performed. In the Vivekachudamani Bhashya, HH Sri Chandrashekhara
Bharati Mahaswamin has said that these four types are mithya.

In Shankara's bhashyas we do not find the first three mentioned explicitly
but only the fourth is seen as 'saayujyam' with 'Ishwara' and समानैश्वर्यम्.

. Since nowhere we encounter a loka higher than the Brahma loka in the
Bhashyas, we conclude that the Brahma loka is the one where all upasakas,
of whatever deity they have meditated upon, in the present day context,
will reach.  In the Bhashyas, however, we get to see upasanas of 'saguna
brahman/ apara brahman' alone and the fruit thereof is, by default, the
Brahma loka.

Shankara has also said that wherever there is dvaita, that is within
creation alone. That means, outside creation it is Advaita alone.

regards
subbu