[Advaita-l] Looking for a Smriti reference

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:48:00 EST 2020

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 3:58 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Kenopanishad vaakya bhashyam 4.4, Shankara cites a Smriti:
>
> अत इन्द्रस्य बोधहेतुत्वाद्विद्यैवोमा । ‘विद्यासहायवानीश्वरः’ इति स्मृतिः ।
>

> Any help in tracing the source of the cited Smriti:  ‘विद्यासहायवानीश्वरः’
> is welcome.

I chanced to see a verse in the Kurmapuranam Part 2, Chapter 31

विद्यासहायो भगवान् यस्यासौ मण्डलान्तरम् ।  हिरण्यगर्भपुत्रोऽसावीश्वरो
दृश्यते परः ॥३१.४१॥

This comes very close to the context which is about Shiva and Uma.
Shankara has quite often cited a shruti/smriti passage not verbatim but
condensing the meaning. This latter is called 'arthataH anuvaadah' as
opposed to the former 'shabdataH anuvaadaH'.  The words 'vidyasahaaya'
'bhagavaan' and 'Ishvara' in the Kurma Purana verse seems matching the
words of Shankara: vidyasahaaya-vaan-IshwaraH'.

regards