[Advaita-l] 'Tattvamasi' Mahavakya - in Shiva Puranam and some more Advaitic references

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 02:26:03 EST 2020

In the Shiva Puranam https://sa.wikisource.org/s/t6f    there is a stuti of
Brahma and Vishnu of Shiva.  In this context it is stated that Vishnu
secured five mantras and performed the japa of the same:

पुनर्मृत्युंजयं मन्त्रं पञ्चाक्षरमतः परम् ।।
चिंतामणिं तथा मंत्रं दक्षिणामूर्ति संज्ञकम् ।। ४८ ।।
ततस्तत्त्वमसीत्युक्तं महावाक्यं हरस्य च ।।
पञ्चमंत्रांस्तथा लब्ध्वा जजाप भगवान्हरिः ।। ४९ ।।

The five mantras are: Mrutyunjaya, Panchakshari, Cintamani, Dakshinamurti
and Tattvamasi Mahavakya.

Then he did this stuti of Shiva:

विश्वतः पादवन्तं तं विश्वतोक्षिकरं शिवम् ।।
ब्रह्मणोऽधिपति सर्गस्थितिसंहारकारणम् ।। ५२ ।।

Shiva who is 'sahasra paat, sahasraaksha, sahasra kara (hands), who is the
Lord of Brahma and is the Cause of the creation, sustenance and resolution.

The English translation can be seen here:
https://archive.org/details/SivaPuranaJ.L.ShastriPart1/page/n213/mode/2up

We have already seen that the Garuda Purana has a chapter on the 'Aham
Brahma Asmi' elaborately explained:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zePbxX1s9XFoHT69nXEgw3j2j316A9AT/view?usp=sharing

The Bhagavatam says, at the very end of the entire text that the essence of
the Vedanta is 'brahmatmaikatvam.'

> https://sa.wikisource.org/s/ttx
>
> सर्ववेदान्तसारं यद् ब्रह्मात्मैकत्वलक्षणम् ।
>  वस्तु अद्वितीयं तन्निष्ठं कैवल्यैकप्रयोजनम् ॥ १२ ॥
>
> The 12th Canto, 13th chapter has this statement.

The term 'brahmaatmaikatva' found in the above Bhagavatam shloka is found
in the Prasthana traya Bhashya alone over a dozen times. Other prakarana
texts in the Advaita Sharada resource give a lot more instances.

Since the above quote is from a popular puranam, it is of interest to see
this statement of Sri Appayya Dikshitar in the Siddhanta Lesha Sangraha:  इति
अपशूद्राधिकरणोपसंहारभाष्ये ब्रह्मात्मैक्यपरपुराणादिश्रवणे विद्यासाधनेऽधिकारस्य
दर्शितत्वात्;..

Variants of these are क्षेत्रज्ञपरमात्मैकत्वविषये सम्यग्दर्शने, विज्ञानात्मनः
परमात्मनैकत्वमुपदिश्यते and so on.

Since such terms are unique to Advaita, the purana-occurrence shown above
can't be accommodated in other schools without much laboring to deny the
direct meaning of the term.

The Lalita Sahasra Nama has:  ब्रह्मात्मैक्यस्वरूपिणी.

> https://sa.wikisource.org/s/ttx
>
> सर्ववेदान्तसारं यद् ब्रह्मात्मैकत्वलक्षणम् ।
>  वस्तु अद्वितीयं तन्निष्ठं कैवल्यैकप्रयोजनम् ॥ १२ ॥
>
> The 12th Canto, 13th chapter has this statement.

The term 'brahmaatmaikatva' found in the above Bhagavatam shloka is found
in the Prasthana traya Bhashya alone over a dozen times. Other prakarana
texts in the Advaita Sharada resource give a lot more instances.

Since the above quote is from a popular puranam, it is of interest to see
this statement of Sri Appayya Dikshitar in the Siddhanta Lesha Sangraha:  इति
अपशूद्राधिकरणोपसंहारभाष्ये ब्रह्मात्मैक्यपरपुराणादिश्रवणे विद्यासाधनेऽधिकारस्य
दर्शितत्वात्;..

Variants of these are क्षेत्रज्ञपरमात्मैकत्वविषये सम्यग्दर्शने, विज्ञानात्मनः
परमात्मनैकत्वमुपदिश्यते and so on.

Since such terms are unique to Advaita, the purana-occurrence shown above
can't be accommodated in other schools without much laboring to deny the
direct meaning of the term.

The Lalita Sahasra Nama has:  ब्रह्मात्मैक्यस्वरूपिणी.

regards
subbu