[Advaita-l] Questions on the blessed Isa Upanishad

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Nov 26 15:33:45 EST 2020

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Kartik Vashishta via Advaita-l wrote:

> 1)If the world is covered by God, then, what is wrong with desiring the
> objects? (The objects being permeated by Ishvara)

The problem is in thinking that the objects are different from Ishvara.
But artha and kama are valid goals for Man as long as

> 2) The most charitable Sri Swami Krishnananda ji says that three things are
> explained in the very first verse of the Isa Upanishad, viz:
> "(1) īśvara’s sattā; (2) jagat’s swarup (3) jīva’s kartavya.
> In other words, this is metaphysics, explaining the characteris­tics of the
> relationship of God, world and soul.
> All these factors have been stated in this very first sloka of this
> Īśāvāsyopaniṣad—
> firstly, of īśvara’s existence, secondly, the nature of the existence of
> the world, and thirdly, man’s duty."
>
> Question)How is Ishvara's existence been explained in this first verse, per
> this book?

That Ishvara is not just some invisible man in the sky but everything that
is thought, felt, and experienced including ones own self.

> Question)How is the nature of the existence of the world explained in this
> first verse, per this book? Is it by saying that "the world is covered by
> Ishvara"?

Yes.  The phenomenal world has no existence outside of Ishvara.

> I may be able to understand, the third , "man's duty"....as in
> non-covetousness

Given the answer to question one, one's duty is to live life without
covetousness for whose is wealth?  Nothing is acquired which is not
Brahman.  Nothing is lost which is not Brahman.