[Advaita-l] An etymology for the term 'tripuTee'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 02:46:20 EDT 2020

We have come across the term 'tripuTee' meaning the triad of knower,
knowing and known.  In the commentary to the Panchadashi 11.14, the
commentator Sri Ramakrishna Pandita gives an etymology thus: त्रयाणां
ज्ञातृज्ञानज्ञेयरूपाणां पुटानाम् आकाराणां समाहारः त्रिपुटी |  (The
collection of the three 'forms' of knower, knowing and known is called
tripuTee).  For the word puTa he gives the meaning 'form'.  I could not get
that meaning in the various dictionaries.

regards
subbu