[Advaita-l] Are sandhi rules essential to be followed while chanting gita verses?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:10:04 EDT 2020

Namaste Siva Senani ji
I request your answer to another question as well.

*A question on visargas and halantas at the end of a verse*.

In this video (as also of several other artistes/sadhakas), the visargas at
the end of a verse and also the halantas are pronounced as written -  i.e.,
as sudden stops.

https://youtu.be/k3THo8l_4_4

Whereas it's common to hear the visarga at the end of a verse to be
pronounced as  "aha" in a word like "Raamaha" (half-mAtra at the end)
rather than just "RaamaH" (abrupt stop).

Similarly the phrase 'pada-mavyayan-tat' is pronounced as
pada-mavayayan-tatu" -introducing a half-maatra at the end. Is this latter
manner merely a southern indian accented sanskrit (and therefore best
avoided)? Or is it technically permissible?

Example - Challakere brothers who are considered the gold standard do
introduce the half maatra (even a full maatra perhaps for visargAnta and
halanta shlokas) as in ....

https://youtu.be/9CyS6mS2OA8

Are both manners of pronunciation acceptable? Is there any pANini sUtra or
prAti-shAkhya rule dealing with this issue?

Om
Raghav

On Wed, 2 Sep, 2020, 8:33 AM Siva Senani Nori via Advaita-l, <