[Advaita-l] Maya and Avidya

Bhaskara v Advaith sunshines.bhaskara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:22:28 EDT 2020

Would it be right to say the way the mind of Jiva works to project the
world, Maya works for the Brhman to project the world?

Yes, you can ‘partially’ say the way mind of jiva works to project the
world, Maya works for the Ishvara(not Brahman) to project the world

How

We know that there is only Brahman and nothing exists beyond Brahman. But
we also know that there is this world existing(in vyavaharika) and this is
because of Avidya.

This Avidya basically has three qualities i.e. Sattva, Rajas, Tamas. When
only pure Sattva is present dominating rajas and tamas it is called as
Maya. When Rajas and Tamas are dominating over sattva it is called
avidya(This ‘Avidya’ has 3 qualities and this ‘avidya’ has less sattva
dominated by rajas and tamas). When Brahman gets reflected in Maya he comes
to be known as Ishvara. When Brahman gets reflected in avidya ie less
sattva dominated by rajas and tamas he comes to known as jiva(causal
body/karana sharira).

Because of panchikarana of sattva rajas and tamas the universe exists for
Ishvara and because of panchikarna of sattva rajas and tamas subtle and
gross body exists for jiva (Ishvara is like universal set and jiva is
subset of universal set and of-course world exists for the experience of
jiva) Since causal body is the reason for the mind we can say the way mind
of jiva works to project the world, Maya works for the Ishvara(not Brahman)
to project the world

Refer Panchadasi of Vidyaranya Slokas 10-20

ಮಂಗಳ, ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂ 15, 2020 ರಂದು 12:54 ಪೂರ್ವಾಹ್ನ ಸಮಯಕ್ಕೆ ರಂದು smallpress via
Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> ಅವರು ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ: