[Advaita-l] Bagavatham

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:59:18 EDT 2020

On Thu, 17 Sep, 2020, 7:08 PM Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l, <

> One curse given to shiva by bhrigu in bagavatham.
>

> Those who vow to worship Lord Śiva are so foolish that they imitate him by
> keeping long hair on their heads. When initiated into worship of Lord Śiva,
> they prefer to live on wine, flesh and other such things.

The key word is that they live on flesh, wine etc. It refers to the
kapalikas, a sect of degenerate shaivas who practised lower forms of
tantra. See this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapalika

The kapalikas tried to sacrifice Adi Shankara too but we're thwarted by the
intervention of Sri Padmapada. These degenerate Shaivas were no friends of
advaitins.

See this for the details of these Shaivas trying to kill Shankara.
http://www.kamakotimandali.com/blog/index.php?p=984&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Text 30: Bhṛgu Muni continued: Since you blaspheme the Vedas and the
> brāhmaṇas, who are followers of the Vedic principles, it is understood that
> you have already taken shelter of the doctrine of atheism.
> Text 31: The Vedas give the eternal regulative principles for auspicious
> advancement in human civilization which have been rigidly followed in the
> past. The strong evidence of this principle is the Supreme Personality of
> Godhead, who is called Janārdana, the well-wisher of all living entities.

The word Janardana has been explained in bhAShyas as Brahman who destroys
(ardanam karori) the future births (jana meaning janmas)