[Advaita-l] Advaitabodhadipika

Gopal Gopinath summaasmi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 16:13:23 EDT 2021

The bibliography list on ABD appears to have been added by the 'editor' -
A. Ramaswamy, along with some editorial formatting ( as per the declaration
below the bibliography). The text has been finished up abruptly like in the
middle of a sentence before the bibliography.. The English translation
appears to have been rounded up as with a book-end of a conversation.. The
editor appears to qualify the list as comprised on the texts the author had
used in the book to cite from.
If it is so, your question gets answered, I believe.

I have not read the book intensively, but it does appear that the author
points to shruti vaakya and Viveka chudamani in the text (Example, in 7th
Prakarana), Yoga vasishta, gita in 3rd prakarana, and reference to Shankara
and Vidyaranya in the 5 th paragraph of the first chapter itself as showing
reverence to their existing works. All through the text, there are explicit
references to YV and indirect references to Upanishads.  May be this
prompted the editor to add the bibliography.  Looking at the editorial
footnotes, it appears that the editor had access to multiple manuscripts.
Some edits appear to point to paata bheda of certain topical phrases in
samkritam. The numbering of each question / Answer segment also follows a
pattern for explaining the meaning of another text by translation or
expanded explanation. All these make me wonder now whether the editor too
was referring to a samskrita or Tamil manuscript when preparing this work
for publication... It does not fit the profile of the works quoted (Sarupa
saram and Ellam Ondre).  I have nothing more to add to this.

Thanks.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:27 PM Ven Balakrishnan via Advaita-l <