[Advaita-l] Inward and outward contemplation

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 06:41:39 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Sri Jaldhar Ji wrote

Reg  << Certainly "who am I?" should be the question every sadhaka should
ask but why should that require only "inward" contemplation >>.

As per the Advaita Sidhanta advanced by Sri Bhagavatpada,  Realization is
possible ONLY through  जीवब्रह्मैक्यज्ञानम् (jIvabrahmaikya j~nAnam). Hence
"inward" contemplation  is compulsory.

Reg  <<  It
should defintely include inward focus but sometimes I think it gets
forgotten that Brahman is "pervades all this and ten fingers beyond" as
the purushasukta puts it.  The root bR^inn from which brahman is derived
also means growth or increase.  Brahman is as much "out there" as "in
here." >>

But for successful  "inward" contemplation leading to जीवब्रह्मैक्यज्ञानम्
(jIvabrahmaikya j~nAnam), Vairagya is an essential sAdhana. This is aided
by जगन्मिथ्यात्वज्ञानम् (jaganmithyAtvaj~nAnam). It is essential to
understand that what is “out there” is mithyA.

Reg  << Some experience a massive collapse of sense of self
where one seems to be nothing at all >>,

This does not represent Realization.

Reg  << Others have an equally massive
expansion of consciousness where one becomes everything >>,

This indeed is Realization.

According to Sri Bhagavatpada, Realization or the answer to “Who am I”  is
not possible without recourse to Shruti.

Above is my understanding.
Regards

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 12:03 PM Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <