[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Inward and outward contemplation

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 18:59:50 EDT 2021

The problem with that formulation is that on realisation, the false mind, knows that it is false, and goes on with its false activities.  But the falsehood is a result of ignorance, and Knowledge destroys ignorance.  It is like saying “I don’t exist”; but there is someone there to say it, which contradicts itself.  Knowledge - the removal of ignorance - must mean no mind, the dissolution of particular consciousnessness as Brhad says.

"The criticism is also unfounded that no one will be left over to practise the Vedantic path and that direct perception etc. will be outraged. For the transmigratory state is conceded before enlightenment, and the activities like perception are confined within that state only, because texts as this, "But when to the knower of Brahman everything has become the Self, then what should one see and through what?" (Br. II. iv. 14), point out the absence of perception etc. in the state of enlightenment.”