[Advaita-l] Advaita in Sikhism

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Dec 2 03:25:08 EST 2021

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l wrote:

> https://www.gurbani.org/gurblog/mistaking-rope-for-a-snake/

The most direct influence on Sikhism was the Shaiva Nath sampradaya along
with Sufism (which in that area was also influenced by the Naths.)
Advaita Vedanta itself was "in the air" and any educated person would have
been aware of the basics even if they had not formally studied it in
detail.

Advaita Vedanta was a bigger influence on Guru Nanaks son Shrichand who
founded the Udasin sampradaya.  When I went to Haridwar some time back for
my Kai. fathers asthi visarjan, I met an Udasin Babaji who told me that in
their maths they study both Guru Granth and prasthanatrayi with
Shankarabhashyas.

The Udasins previously had control of many major Sikh Gurudwaras but the
19th century Sikh reform movement put an end to that.  Another problem is
their main base of support was in Western Punjab which is now in Pakistan
and partition and subsequent events also damaged their strength.  But many
Sindhi and Punjabi Hindus still follow them.

The Nirmalas are another Sikh offshoot who also follow Advaita Vedanta.

Another significant figure in the Sant tradition (albeit from Rajasthan
and not related to Sikhism) was Shri Dadu Dayal.  Sant Nishchaladas the
author of the famous Vichara Sagara was a member of Dadu panth.