[Advaita-l] Shabda-ajanya-vritti-vishayatva of tuchch

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 11:23:50 EST 2021

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

I am not sure if the following addresses the question you have raised. All
the same I am just presenting a possibility.

In his commentary on Sidhanta Bindu, Sri Abhyankara points out that
according to Bauddha (बौद्ध) view, substances are of four sorts, namely
pAramArthika,vyAvahArika, prAtibhAsika (imaginary with a substratum) and
Bauddha (बौद्ध) (imaginary without a substratum). The fourth category is
made up of purely fantastic substances such as the horn of a hare which is
a total impossibility  and is not a product of anything but is merely a
fantasy. He further says that it is stated in लघुशब्देन्दुशेखर-अर्थवत्सूत्र
(laghushabdendushekhara-arthavatsUtra)  that according to बौद्धदर्शन
(bauddhadarshana)  the words शशशृङ्ग (shashashRRi~Nga) खपुष्प (khapuShpa)
and others of that class have an inherent power to give rise to ideas of
the horn of a hare, sky-flower etc and that in view of the experiences of
dreams it is necessary to assume such a fourth category of substances.

(The above is taken from the commentary on Sidhanta Bindu by Sri P C
Divanji)

Perhaps the tIka is responding to such a proposition.
Regards

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 12:19 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <