[Advaita-l] Shabda-ajanya-vritti-vishayatva of tuchch

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 00:50:14 EST 2021

Namaste,
The laghuchandirkAkAra is explaining the reason behind why the siddhikAra
after explaining दृश्यत्वम् as शब्दाजन्यवृत्तिविषयत्वम्, starts another
vikalpa for explaining दृश्यत्वम् using the words यद्वा
सप्रकारवृत्तिविषयत्वमेव दृश्यत्वम्.

शब्दज्ञानानुपाती वस्तुशून्यो विकल्पः is a yoga position that is accepted in
advaita. However not all schools subscribe to this. There are other schools
(including dvaitavAda) from whom even the shuktirajata is asat/tucCha. The
siddhikAra bringing up an alternative definition is to address those that
argue that tucCha is not शब्दजन्यवृत्तिमात्रविषयः. Such schools will argue
that just like tucCha is shabda-janya-vRtti-viShaya, it can also be
anumiti-viShaya (on the lines of the anumAna provided). So, according to
such schools, tucCha ends up as shabda-ajanya-vRtti-viShaya, and hence
there is vyabhichAra in tucCha with such a definition of drShyatva.

Taking that as an abhyupetya vAda, the siddhikAra explains another
definition of drShyatva using यद्वा. The laghuchandrikA-kAra is showing the
the reason why an alternative definition may be needed.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 11:09 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <