[Advaita-l] Omniscient Lord and free will.

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:49:26 EDT 2021

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021, 20:19 Vishesh Bhat, <visheshlives at gmail.com> wrote:

> DhanyavAda to everyone for the answer.
>
> I have just one follow up question. Please pardon my persistence.
> Parikshita in the Mahabharata is cursed and fated to die from the bite of
> Takshaka which he could not escape. But why is it then in certain cases,
> there are rituals prescribed and done to escape untimely death? This is
> just an example. Why is it in certain cases that Karma phala seems
> inescapable but there are also instances when the same Karma phala is
> thwarted by means of rituals or Japa.

The karma which hasn't taken fruit yet might be expiated. But the prarabdha
cannot be altered without it's experience. The common example is that of an
arrow which has already been released.

> This applies to punyA too. If I had some punyA phala from my past lives,
> am I destined to receive it even if I sit idle or is there an action
> necessary on my part to receive it?

Puny phala also creates vasanas which comepl u to do the actionn wether you
want to do or not.

> Even when trying to understand Gita, this question arises in my mind
> whether Krishna's call to Arjuna to act was because it was destined to be
> thus?

No. Because it's his duty. That is what krishna says in gita. Actions have
to be done(nitya karmas) but the fruits have to be renounced. And arjuna
followed his kshatriya dharma.

> Would the war and the deaths of the people involved have happened even if
> Arjuna had not fought the war??

Such a question doesn't arise. The karma phala was experienced by both,
arjuna and people involved in the war. Dharma won and adharma lost. If
arjuna wouldn't fight it would be adharma for him, which he ll reap. And
the other would experience it another way. The law of karma is always
intact.

> Were Krishna's teachings to make Arjuna realise that his temporary
> vairAgya was a result of mohA and therefore would only cause him more
> distress later even if he gave up arms and dutiful actions?Did Arjuna
> actually have free will here?

I didn't understand? Krishnas teaching was to inculcate vairagya bhava to
the fruit of actions. Arjuna did have free will. He can choose to follow
the supreme Lord narayanas words or otherwise.

I think you haven't understood what vairagi means. Vairagi doesn't renounce
the actions itself but it's fruit alone.
Shri madusudhana saraswati has given the explanation in his commentary on
bagavd gita.
The verse 18.66 will help you understand.