[Advaita-l] Teachings on the Vijaya Yatra - Remove the Ego and seek Humility

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 22:33:57 EDT 2021

(Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

http://vijayayatra.sringeri.net/chennai-oct-25-nov-2-2012/

Chennai: OCTOBER 25 – NOVEMBER 2, 2012

Gurvandanam Function

Instead of seeking (worldly things), pray to God to remove your ego, to eliminate your desires, to cultivate compassion
and to cross the ocean of Samsara. (Words of the Jagadguru during the Anugraha Bhashanam at this event)

On October 26th, the devotees of Chennai organized a function titled “Respectful Gratitude” at Sudharma to honour
Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji.

That evening, the Jagadguru first blessed a large group of people (young and old) with special needs. The Jagadguru
blessed this group of blind and physically challenged people and they were given new clothing, tools (wheel chairs, hearing-aids)
to improve their life and Prasadam blessed by the Jagadguru.

[..]

The Jagadguru’s Anugraha Bhashanam

In His Anugraha Bhashanam, the Jagadguru said that it is a matter of great joy for all devotees and also for Himself that
the occasion for a Sringeri Jagadguru to observe Chaturmasya at Sringeri had come about after 52 years.

The Jagadguru emphasized that if today Vedic and Shastric scholars exist, it is because of Sri Adi Shankaracharya.
He resuscitated Sanatana Dharma and established the Chaturamnaya Peethams to carry on His work. With great gratitude,
our Parameshti Guru, Jagadguru Sri Sacchidananda Shivabhinava Narasimha Bharati Mahaswamiji rediscovered the birthplace
of the great Acharya at Kalady, got His complete works published and directed everyone to observe Shankara Jayanti.
The Jagadguru brought attention to the universality of the Acharya’s outlook. He mentioned that Sri Shankaracharya’s works
cater to the needs of all kinds of people.

The Jagadguru then spoke about what we should seek from God. Many implore God’s intervention to secure a job, to provide an
offspring, to help in finding a match for their son or daughter. Sri Adi Shankaracharya pointed out that one must instead
seek God to help remove one’s ego and develop humility. No one can lay a claim to omniscience except न हि सर्वः सर्वं जानाति.
God alone is omniscient. Bhartruhari has said with respect to humility, “I once thought I knew everything. Now as I gain
knowledge from elders, I realize that I knew naught back then.”

The Shastras urge a rich man to realize that there will be men richer than him and be humble about his wealth. A poor man
must realize that there will be men poorer than himself, and be satisfied with his status. Hence one must never feel that he
is superior to everyone else. Despite speaking at length, and listening to such teachings, we do not seem to shed our ego.
Hence pray to God for removing your ego.

The second prayer is to stop desires from springing up in the mind and be content with what one has. Bhagavan says in the Gita:

 यदृच्छालाभसन्तुष्टः द्वन्द्वातीतो विमत्सरः ।
 समः सिद्धावसिद्धौ च गुणातीतः स उच्यते ॥

Bhagavan uses the term, “यदृच्छालाभसन्तुष्टः” to signify that one must be content with one whatever receives, and not approach others
and hanker after everything. A man who lacks contentment will not be happy.

The third prayer is to help us cultivate compassion. The fourth prayer is to help one cross the ocean of Samsara: the cycle
of births and deaths.

Such must be our prayers: to remove ego, desires, to cultivate compassion and to cross the ocean of Samsara.

The Jagadguru further said that one cannot forego duties when in the midst of problems, but pray to the Lord. That is why Bhagavan
said to Arjuna.

 तस्मात्सर्वेषु कालेषु मामनुस्मर युध्य च ।
 (Hence remember Me at all times and fight)

It is not right to simply sit in prayer (and not perform your duties). Neither would it be appropriate to forget God completeley.
It is with this background that Sri Adi Shankaracharya has asked us to pray in the manner as stated above. Hence, we would do well
to reflect upon at least one of His instructions and put it into practice.

The Jagadguru then blessed all the devotees of Chennai who with the devout attitude of Guru Seva had contributed to the
grand conduct of the Chaturmasya and Navaratri Celebrations.

The Jagadguru then said that when some people expressed anguish that they would not know what to do when He starts from Chennai,
He had jovially replied “Keep doing what you were doing before I came to Chennai”. Having said that, the Jagadguru appreciated
the faith and devotion of the devotees, and expressed that He had to continue on His Vijaya Yatra as part of His duty, and
said that He would continue to pray for the welfare of all during the Chandramoulishwara Puja everyday.

The Chairman of the Chennai Vijaya Yatra committee, Sri A. Krishnamoorthy, led by example and quickly came to be respected and
admired by everyone for his leadership and attention to detail to ensure that everyone had the best spiritual experience.
The Jagadguru had special words of blessing for Sri A. Krishnamoorthy and said that per the divine inspiration received from
His Guru and Goddess Sharada, He was honoring Sri Krishnamoorthy with the title of “Guru Bhakta Ratnam” The text of the title
was then read aloud in both Sanskrit and Tamil. The Jagadguru then honored Sri A. Krishnamoorthy.

In the benediction conferring the title, the Jagadguru expressed His choicest blessings on His ardent disciple Sri A Krishnamoorthy.
Sri Adi Shankaracharya has said that Guru Bhakti is the primary cause for Shreyas and has expressed thus:

 “गुरुचरणाम्बुजनिर्भरभक्तस्संसारादचिराद्भव मुक्तः”
 Be ever devoted to the Lotus Feet of the Guru and quickly become liberated from Samsara

 and “मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरङ्घ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम्”
 What indeed is the use of everything else, if the mind is not focussed on the Lotus Feet of the Guru

The benediction further said that Sri A Krishnamoorthy had great Guru Bhakti and was a beloved disciple of Sri Sri Mahasannidhanam
and Sri Sri Sannidhanam. He had striven hard to help conduct the Chaturmasya and Navaratri Celebrations of the Jagadguru at Chennai.
The benediction concluded by saying that, having seen His Guru Bhakti, he was being conferred the title, “Guru Bhakta Ratnam” by the
Jagadguru and blessed him to be a recipient of the abundant grace of Goddess Sharada and Lord Chandramoulishwara”

CEO and Administrator, Guru Seva Dhurina Sri V R Gowrishankar, then honoured Sri A Krishnamoorthy with a shawl and gold necklace.
Sri A Krishnamoorthy then received the benediction conveying the title from the Jagadguru. Guru Bhakta Ratnam Sri A Krishnamoorthy
and his wife were then blessed by the Jagadguru.

The Jagadguru concluded His Anugraha Bhashanam acknowledging the presence of the Tamil Nadu Governor, His Excellency Dr. K. Rosaiah.
The event ended with Mangalam.