[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Wed Jun 16 16:11:49 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 3:09 PM Ven Balakrishnan <ventzu at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Four responses:
>
> 1) I’m just replaying your quote.  Do you believe Ramana was exaggerating
> for effect?  What was his intention in writing such a strongly worded
> phrase - surely not to mislead?

Not at all to mislead. It has to be understood, as I put it in my
commentary: "By dying to what is changing — to what one thought one was,
but in fact is not — one  realizes oneself to actually be the unchanging."

The unchanging has no truck with either doing or not-doing. Those
categories do not apply.

> 2) Recall that Bhagavan when he arrived at Tiruvannamallai, sat
> indifferent to his body and the insects biting him, let alone requirements
> for food, for days on end.  He had to be force fed.

Yes, yes, and Bhagavan has said many times that his path is not for
everyone and not required for jnana.

> 3) Lakshmana Sarma - who received personal instruction on Ulladu Narpadu
> from Bhagavan - wrote this in HIS commentary on this verse:
>
> “The knowledge born out of personal experience that worldly life is
> riddled with sorrow turns one through dispassion towards nivritti marga,
> the path of withdrawal from activity or of renunciation.

Nivritti marga agani has to be understood. True renunciation is the
renunciation of the ego, not of gross physical activity, as both Ramana and
the Bhagavad Gita have said repeatedly.

> 4) Then there is Gaudapada, MK 2.37:
>
> “He should have this body and the Atman as his support and depend upon
> chances, ie he should be satisfied with those things for his physical
> wants, that chance brings him”
>
> Sankara underscores this in his bhasya to this verse
> “He entirely depends on circumstances, that is to say, he maintains his
> body with whatever food or strips of cloth, etc are brought to him by mere
> chance”

Yes, we understand that these are the monastic traditions they worked in.
But that's because these Upanishads were geared towards monks. This is not
the requirement for jnana for everyone.