[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 14:23:04 EDT 2021

To clarify further the issue of mental vs physical action in BG, Sankara actually plays out exactly this objection in his bhasya 2.21:

“The Lord will also speak of renunication of all actions in, ‘having given up all actions mentally,’ etc.

Objection: May it not be argued that from the expression, ‘mentally’, (it follows that) oral and bodily actions are not to be renounced?

Vedantin: No, because of the categoric expression, ‘all actions’.

Objection: May it not be argued that ‘all actions’ relates only to those of the mind?

Vedantin: No, because all oral and bodily actions are preceded by those of the mind, for those actions are impossible in the absence of mental activity."