[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 16:03:35 EDT 2021

 Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com wrote:

> See this dialogue.
>
> D: *How does a grihastha fare in the scheme of moksha? Should he not
> necessarily become a mendicant in order to attain liberation?*
>
> Again, a direct question. Let's not pretend Maharshi is lying to a direct
> question.
>
> M: *Why do you think you are a grihastha? Similar thoughts that you are a
> sannyasin will haunt you, even if you go out as a sannyasin.* Whether you
> continue in the household or renounce it and go to the forest, your mind
> haunts you. The ego is the source of thought. It creates the body and the
> world, and it makes you think of being the grihastha. If you renounce, it
> will only substitute the thought of sannyasa for that of grihastha, and the
> environment of the forest for that of the household. But the mental
> obstacles are always there for you. They even increase greatly in the new
> surroundings. It is no help to change the environment. *The one obstacle is
> the mind; it must be got over whether in the home or in the forest. If you
> can do it in the forest, why not in the home? Therefore, why change the
> environment? Your efforts can be made even now, whatever be the
> environment.*
>
> Maharshi's answer cannot be any clearer.

Yes, Ramana Maharshi (RM) clearly says that for *THAT PARTICULAR* aspirant, taking sannyAsa is not
the right decision! Because RM's reply starts with, "Why do *YOU* think *YOU* are a grihastha?"
The personal pronoun "YOU" reveals that it was addressed to a specific individual, who was probably
unfit for sannyAsa! As already discussed, the majority of the population is not eligible for sannyAsa,
and this questioner was evidently among the ineligible.

That's why the earlier quote from "Spiritual Instruction" is more general: