[Advaita-l] On Ramana

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jun 24 01:40:04 EDT 2021

Every inch of punyabharata has been blessed by contact with the feet of
saints from the mists of the ancient past to the present day.  Some of
these have been great sages and scholars who poured their insights into
works of both great beauty and great profundity.  They initiated disciples
and built institutions to keep the flame of dharma alive. Others also set
forth from their homes inspired by nothing more than the longings of their
own souls and that was enough.  They did not form lineages, they did not
write well-distributed books (if they wrote anything) at all and most of
them never became known further than their own village or maybe a small
region beyond.

Venkataraman Iyer was born in a time and place where both these types of
saint were still common.  So he would have been immersed in an atmosphere
where someone of a naturally spiritual inclination (as by all evidence he
had from childhood) would have received great nourishment even without
formal education.  We know he was an able poet in Tamil.  We know that he
had enough knowledge of Sanskrit to be able to read and discuss stotras
and philosophical works and even translate some of them.  And he had
association with many people who were classically educated and could
remedy any lack in those areas.

Because there was a lack as there would have been for any autodidact.  I
compare him with another self-taught Tamil genius, his contemporary
Srinivas Ramanujan.  Ramanujans insights into mathematics are still
bearing fruit to advanced researchers to this day.  But as his biographer
Hardy noted, he sometimes made simple mistakes or put things in
unnecessarily hard to understand (for mathematicians) ways not due to lack
of intelligence but simply because he had not been "initiated" into the
standard academic culture of mathematics.  I don't think Hardy meant to
belittle him by saying this neither should we think less of him for it.
It is just a fact. I feel we should look at Raman in the same way.  He
never tried to recruit followers or build himself up as a guru but he
impressed people and they asked him questions so he answered them out of
love.  But he was not a systematic thinker and it would be a mistake to
treat him as such.  He can be a source of inspiration and that is enough.
Ramanujans style did not replace the way Mathematics is done then or now
rather it is through the lens of that way that his true brilliance could
be discerned.  In the same way I suggest that if consider yourself
inspired by Raman, if you think the most vital question is "Who am I?  It
is even more incumbent upon you to learn the formal methods of Advaita
Vedanta as no man is an island and noquestion comes out of a void.