[Advaita-l] On Ramana

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 04:08:02 EDT 2021

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg  <<  In his bhasya to Brhad Up 4.5.15, Sankara writes:
"Therefore the knowledge of this Self by the process of ‘Not this, not
this’ and the renunciation of everything are the only means of attaining
immortality”

And in Brhad 3.5.1, the Upanishad talks of living on the strength of that
knowledge and abiding in it.

In Nan Yar, Ramanamaharishi’s method is no different - find and hold on the
the I-thought, discarding all else (the knower vs the known) until even the
I-thought dies >>,

My understanding is very different. There is a whole lot of difference
between what Sri Bhagavatpada says and the Maharshi says. According to Sri
Bhagavatpada, the process of ** Neti Neti ** should be by way of
Shravana,Manana,Nididhyasana as enshrined in the Shruti whereas The
Maharshi seems to suggest that the same Goal can be reached by the process
of holding on to the I-thought discarding all else (the knower vs the
known) be done all by oneself without reference to the Shruti. That is
exactly what is rejected in the Sidhanta.

Regards

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Ven Balakrishnan via Advaita-l <