[Advaita-l] Karma yoga: the kinder, softer preparation for self-inquiry and surrender

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 03:36:46 EST 2021

Ok.

But then how would you reconcile several grihastha jivanmuktas available in
Puranas.

My understanding has been -- the sequence of Gitabhashya 5.12 --
कर्मयोग--सत्त्व-शुद्धि -- ज्ञानप्राप्ति -- सर्वकर्मसंन्यास-- ज्ञाननिष्ठा--
मोक्ष is a sequence which spans across many lives. ज्ञाननिष्ठा and
सर्वकर्मसंन्यास require physical sanyasa. But a person in such states --
which is post सत्त्वशुद्धि -- if he dies and gets another body, he no
longer is required to again have physical sanyasa. He carries from there
and attains Moksha in whichever ashrama he is. He can attain that even
while being in womb like Vamadeva. This is how we can reconcile grihastha
jivanmuktas also.

If we posit requirement of physical sanyasa in a particular birth,
grihastha jivanmukta will be impossibility. Isn't that so?

Regards.