[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 14:10:51 EDT 2021

PraNAms

Enjoyedthe discussions.

>From mypoint. Only reflected light reaches the eyes. One cannot see the originallight. The full moon in the sky can illustrate the point. What I see is only abright moon - the moon that does not have luminosity of its own. Hence what Iam really seeing is the sunlight reflected by the moon. Outside the moon alsothere is sunlight which I cannot see or recognize. I need an object to reflectthe sunlight for me to recognize the presence of the sunlight there.

Thereflection depends on the reflecting medium - in this case, the form and alsothe absorbing capacity of the reflecting medium.

In thesense it is not the object that I really see but only the reflected attributeof the object.

Sameapplies to the light of consciousness too - I cannot see the original but onlyits reflected image.

Whenwhite light (VIBGOYR) falls on the object - an object looks red only becauseall other colors other than red are absorbed. That is the property of thereflecting medium.

The samelogic applies for the Sat Chit Ananda - Brahman which is all pervading. Theinert object only reflect the Sat aspect - no chit and ananda. The subtleobjects such as mind reflects not only sat but chit also depending on thequality of the mind (chidaabhasa). Just as by reflecting sunlight the moon hasbecome a luminous entity in the sky, the same way mind being subtle byreflecting Chit appears as a conscious entity. - Sat and Chit get reflected bythe mind and not ananda. Ananda also get reflected only when the mind is calmand serene - to that degree Ananda also gets reflected.

In allthese the essence is we cannot see the original light or the light of allpervading consciousness - we can only see its reflection depending on thequality of the reflecting medium.

It isaccepted that for other senses - touch, taste, smell, the quality of the objecthas to come in contact with the senses anyway.

Science,however cannot explain - how a 'thought' arises in the mind. The optical imagein the retina is transmitted in terms of neurons to the brain - then? That isend of objective sciences.

Using theanalogy of computers, we can say the charge input is converted into software,thoughts. The great Lord has put in a universal program code to convert thesense input into thoughts that mind can read - again of course by thereflection of the light of consciousness by the thought - this is discussed inthe Vedanta Paribhasha as perceptuality condition where the consciousness thatI am joins with the object form imaged in the form of 'thought' for me to beconscious of the contents of the thought. Just as by reflecting sunlight I amnow conscious of the contents of the moon.

Hence inevery thought the consciousness is revealed by the reflection process. HenceKena says - pratibodha viditam matam - it is revealed in every thought.

My 2c

Hari Om!

Sadananda