[Advaita-l] Clarifying self-inquiry: what does 'who am I' really mean?

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Fri May 14 00:23:18 EDT 2021

Namaste,

Full video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXPecHdTYwQ&list=PLxfuCblbZuGea4uNH_3KkteYXOmLUm8dn

The fundamental question behind nonduality and self-inquiry is "Who am I?"
Many people get confused by this question, interpreting it in philosophical
or psychological terms, or asking it as a kind of koan or mantra. It is not
meant to be any of these. Who am I refers to a single specific activity:
the activity of trying to hone in on or locate a facet of our own
moment-to-moment experience, that part of it which knows "I witness this
experience and am not it." As soon as we try to locate this, we find we
engage in a chase, because that aspect becomes elusive. Staying on the
chase is how we try to answer the question. The I we think we are, the
witnessing I, turns out to be a kind of illusion, which reveals the deeper
and truer I, the true Self.

Akilesh Ayyar
Spiritual guidance - http://www.siftingtothetruth.com/