[Advaita-l] adhikAra - veda - vedAnta, a query

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 05:56:22 EDT 2021

Namaskaram Sri Bhaskarji,

I agree with you completely on all your points and do not find anything
wrong with them at all. Indeed, without the proper adhikara
(qualifications) doing anything is bound to be fruitless. Can a person be
person be allowed to drive a car if he is blind no matter how much that
person believes they can drive? Of course, this is an extreme example, but
it is not too far from how the shaastras view this issue.  Each person,
according to the karma (actions) and vasanas (likes/dislikes) of their past
lives, has been accorded a certain set of characteristics including their
varna in their present birth which gives them the particular set of
abilities to pursue a certain set of activities successfully but prevent
them from successfully pursuing others. As long as they follow the
shaastras and their svadharma (dharma suited for oneself) prescribed in
them that matches with the particular characteristics of their present
birth (varnashrama), they are bound to be successful in their pursuit of
the all the purusharthas including moksha. However, like a blind man
thinking he can drive a car (or like Arjuna, who having come prepared for a
war, suddenly believes it is better to be a sannyasi), if one deludes
oneself into thinking that somehow a paradharma (dharma suited for someone
else) is better because of one’s desires prompted by the situation one is
in at a particular time, one is bound to be unsuccessful. This only leads
to additional karma and vasanas for which there will be additional births
so that this person’s desires can be satisfied (because it is ultimately
one’s own desires that cause one to take birth again and again to
experience them). Therefore, it is best to consistently follow one’s
svadharma to the best of one’s abilities and avoid other pursuits that are
prompted by one’s desires. This leads to the exhaustion of one’s karma, to
chit-shuddhi, and ultimately to moksha.

At the same time, I am reluctant to criticize the ones who do things
without appropriate adhikara accorded to them by shaastra in order to
overcome this samsara. It is because I feel that they are doing this with
their best intentions in mind and so I do not feel like criticizing them.
Criticizing those who are trying their best (in their view) to overcome
this samsara may not be the best help one could offer them. Instead I feel
that they need understanding and compassion to help progress in right
direction. And certainly, Ishwara, who is karuna-svaroopam (essence of
compassion) will certainly see their intentions and their efforts and help
them go in the right direction and cross the ocean of samsara. Therefore,
when confronted with this issue, instead of criticizing their
well-intentioned efforts to get out of samsara, I prefer to emphasize the
importance of following the shaastric injunctions, which are nothing other
than Ishwara’s prescriptions for the jivas, to the best of one’s abilities.
This is also what our traditional Acharyas recommend for one’s ultimate
wellbeing.

Perhaps this is how the traditional matams also view this issue? Probably
that is why they also do not criticize those who are well-intentioned but
bend the rules of the shaastras (even while claiming to be associated with
these matams), and instead just keep emphasizing the importance of
following the shaastras for the ultimate wellbeing of the individual and
the society?

Ultimately, however, as the shaastras reveal, none of this matters in the
most fundamental sense, because the trinity of shaastra (teaching), shaasta
(teacher), and sishya (learner) is itself only a part of the maya that
helps one wake up from this maya. Once awakened even the shaastra is seen
to be only an illusion. Personally, I remind myself of this often and try
not to take things too seriously. So, instead of worrying too much about
what others do or don’t do, I follow with shraddha what my guru has advised
for me as an individual to the best of my abilities and surrender
everything with bhakti to Ishwara.🙂

Om tat sat 🙏